E-mail link information relay

justinbriggs1

Hello, thanks everyone for their help in the past, I've gained a great deal of insight and knowledge from your posts. Here's a PHP question that I think is kind of interesting but has stumped me. I would like to create a link in an e-mail that when clicked will relay the sender's e-mail so I can use it as a session variable. I was thinking maybe I could send the e-mail address in the link itself, then when clicked it would show up in the URL or something similar Any ideas? Thanks,JW

Is this email sent via your PHP application? Whom should the email be relayed to? What are you wanting to use as a session variable? And last but not least, why would you want to do this?If the email is sent by your PHP, you can put the text of the email in a database and make the link point to a page which retrieves the text and does something with it.

Is this email sent via your PHP application? Whom should the email be relayed to? What are you wanting to use as a session variable? And last but not least, why would you want to do this?If the email is sent by your PHP, you can put the text of the email in a database and make the link point to a page which retrieves the text and does something with it.
Sorry, let me clear it up. I created a web page that allows a person to enter several e-mail addresses into a table. When submitted, invitations are sent to these e-mails. If the recipient would like to join a group, they only have to click the hyperlink and they will be directed to a page that has their e-mail stored as a session variable, therefore they don't have to type the e-mail address in. I am already storing the e-mails in a database; that is part of same PHP page, so I can see your suggestion working fine. Is that the simplest way?

Use the variable $_GETie, store their e-mail and any information just as the group they are going to be joining. Then send their e-mail address in the hyperlink such aswww.exmaple.com/index.php?EMAIL=USERS@EMAIL.SENT.TOthen when they follow the link you can use $_GET['EMAIL'] to get the email address and add them into the correct group that you say u wish to.

Johnny (I guess that's your first name?) is right... I thought the user was sending a custom message and you wanted to have the message available when the recipient clicked the link.

Use the variable $_GETie, store their e-mail and any information just as the group they are going to be joining. Then send their e-mail address in the hyperlink such aswww.exmaple.com/index.php?EMAIL=USERS@EMAIL.SENT.TOthen when they follow the link you can use $_GET['EMAIL'] to get the email address and add them into the correct group that you say u wish to.
Thanks, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Johnny (I guess that's your first name?) is right... I thought the user was sending a custom message and you wanted to have the message available when the recipient clicked the link.
yeah Johnny's My Name :)But you could still use this method and then use the WHERE statement to get the messageWHERE email={$_GET['EMAIL']}then echo the custom message :)Glad i could help JW :)

Archived