Work around needed for javascript disabled

murfitUK

I really know nothing about javascript. I've tried but just can't get the hang of it. The bit of code I'm using came from someone on this site - so I'm hoping I'll get some more help.Two drop-down select boxes. The first has magazine edition numbers 99,100,101,102 etc. The second has advert numbers from 1 to the max available for each issue. 99 might have 78 adverts, 100 might have 57 etc. Selecting the first part then enables the second drop-down box populated with the numbers 1 to whatever. The advert reference number therefore looks like 99/45 etc.

<select name="issue" id="issue" onchange='loadOptions(this.value)'>		   <option value="0" id='option0' selected> </option>		   <option value="97">97</option>		   <option value="98">98</option>		   <option value="99">99</option>		   <option value="100">100</option>		   <option value="101">101</option>		   <option value="102">102</option>	   </select>	   nbsp;/nbsp;		 <select name="num" id="num" disabled="disabled"></select>	   <script>		   myArray = [0, 71, 69, 67, 73, 68, 71];		   function loadOptions(x){			   var iss = document.getElementById('issue');			   if (iss.options[0].value == '0'){				   iss.remove(0);			   }			  			   var num = document.getElementById('num');			   num.options.length = 0;			  			   var opt;			   var len = myArray[x-96];			   for (var i = 1; i <= len; i++){				   opt = document.createElement('option');				   opt.value = i;				   opt.text = '' + i;				   try{					   num.add(opt, null);				   }				   catch (ex){					   num.add(opt);				   }			   }			   num.disabled = false;		   }		   </script>

If the user does not have javascript enabled then they can still select the issue number but the second drop-down list will not become enabled and will not populate with the required numbers 1 to whatever.I would like to insert something that checks if javascript is enabled. If not, I need a workaround. A simple textbox would do so that user could type in advert reference number (eg 101/34). Would rather this box not displayed unless absolutely essential as user could type in non-existent reference which I will then have to catch upon form submission.Thanks.

Thanks. That was so easy and I am (almost) embarrassed at having asked!I've tested it now in FF and it works but I can't find out how to disabled js in IE7. No doubt it will be somewhere in a menu so obvious that its the last place I'll look!EDIT: Found out how to disable js in IE (google's great!) but its not obvious.

Archived