Unwanted Border

bw83

I am trying to do a menu that i found on cssplay on my website but im having a lil bit of problem with it. http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/menuone.htmlThat is the menu I am trying to use and I am trying to put it on this page http://bw83.com/menu/home.phpThe problem im running into is the border that is there. I tried to remove the line

border:0.5em solid #fff;

from the css and while it does get rid of the border while there is no hover or anything on the link when you do hover it completly changes the look of the hover option. Do I have something conflicting with it in another part that makes the hover not work right without that border?

I'm guessing here. You don't like the white border? But you do like the "camo border" when the mouse hovers over an item?Borders aren't extra. The border is creating part of the dimension of each menu item. Take the border away, and you have a new set of dimensions, so the items are positioned very differently. Then when you hover over an item, the "camo border" appears, so the dimensions change, and things jump around.Does this sound like what you're getting?If so, the solution is simple: border:0.5em solid transparent;The goal here is to keep the dimensions the same as in the hover state.

When you create a link style in your CSS a (which actually means a:link), you should group it with the visited state, a:visited, so the links look the same after being clicked (that is if you actually want them to look the same in each of these states). If you don't group the two together, then you click on a link and it will have a totally different style because the links is already 'visited'.Does that make sense?So that's why #menu a, and #menu a:visited are grouped in the same rule, thus, affecting a:hover.Hope that answers your question.BTW, the use of the value transparent for your links does not work in IE6.

Archived