What I need to learn?

imagine3

Ok, I am trying to advance my skills in webdesign. I have a BA in Graphic design. Have been designing website for about 4 years seriously. I am very strong in HTML, decent in CSS. I have excelent graphical design abilities in Photoshop. So basically what do I need to work on next. I am told by people to learn ASP.NET and MySQL. What should I try first. Are there any advantages of knowing one over the other. Or should I try to get more into XML. I would really like your imput on this.Thanks, Brian

server side scripting is very usefulwhatever one you feel is better or whichever you need more i'd say go for that onei myself prefer php at the moment, its more useful to me at this point of time.although its best learning everything and anything, its probably not physically possible unless you devote 24/7 to learning for a 2-3 years.i like to learn asp, coldfusion etc etc..but learning them and php would probably confuse me and probably fry my brain causing my head to melt into a gloopy mess on my shoulders..and that wouldn't be very useful..none of my t-shirts will fit for a start..

I know a little PHP and some JavaScript so is that the order I should learn it in?Again. Thank you guys for your help

You don't need to learn that much javascript...if you feel comfotable with your level in JS then you can skip that one.If you already know some PHP you could just continue with PHP instead of ASP.Net...unless you really want to learn .Net.

You don't need to learn that much javascript...if you feel comfotable with your level in JS then you can skip that one.If you already know some PHP you could just continue with PHP instead of ASP.Net...unless you really want to learn .Net.

I have no experience with ASP.NET and have very little knowlegde of what it even is used for, I have just been told that it would be good to learn. Also most companies looking for web designers are looking for SQL and ASP.NET and not really PHP. is PHP and ASP.NET simmilar in functionality?

They can do the exact same thing.The advantages of ASP.Net is that you can compile your code into .dll so when you distribute your software you do not have to give out the source code.Also .Net has advanced methods of dealing with security that PHP does not have.Also since .Net is compiled it runs a bit faster than PHP as well.

They can do the exact same thing.The advantages of ASP.Net is that you can compile your code into .dll so when you distribute your software you do not have to give out the source code.Also .Net has advanced methods of dealing with security that PHP does not have.Also since .Net is compiled it runs a bit faster than PHP as well.

Are there any ASP.NET books you would suggest picking up to learn from since I don't have the time to go back to school and sit in class?