Simple Comments Page

Mikeyham

Hello again, w3schools' forums. I want to make a simple comments page on my practice website; nothing with a whole lot of bells and whistles, just something where you can put in a username and message, and post it on the website. What languages would I need to learn and use in order to do this? ~Thanks

Alrighty, thanks for your reply =) I got a ASP.NET book from a book store recently. Is there a way I could do it with ASP? Or would it be a little more difficult?

You can totally do it in ASP. Any language supported by ASP that you can work with will be fine. And if you chose ASP because it supports a language you already know (like VB), you can certainly work with the file system instead of a database, if that makes it easier for you. Nothing wrong with flat file format.

I see. A second question: I know you can ban people off of your website with .htaccess, so if anyone says some obscene things in said comments page, is there a way I can find their IP and ban them?

Any server side scripting language (asp.php,.net,coldfusion) will be able to collect the visitor's IP address at the time a comment is posted- in ColdFusion that would be #cgi.remote_addr#. Simply create a space (a column in your database) to save that along side the comment being left.Keep in mind the IP being saved is likely from a proxy server or from a DHCP server. This means that you could be banning more than that one individual.If you want to have fun, drop the database and make it all XML based.:-)

I'm still halfway through my JavaScript bible, so I haven't quite moved to any server scripting or database language, but I understand what you've said. Thanks for your help! =D After I'm a good way through JavaScript, I'll move to PHP, because that seems to be the easiest solution from your replies.

There are two good arguments supporting your decision to look at PHP. First, because they are both derived from C, PHP and Javascript are a lot alike. So you'll have an easy transition. Second, if you like this board, the PHP community is simply larger. No offense aspnetguy! :)

I'm still halfway through my JavaScript bible, so I haven't quite moved to any server scripting or database language, but I understand what you've said. Thanks for your help! =D After I'm a good way through JavaScript, I'll move to PHP, because that seems to be the easiest solution from your replies.
There is an issue that ASP requires that IIS be running on your server. I believe that makes it be a PC and not unix box. PHP is available on almost everything.

Thanks for both of your replies. I did notice that most of the online members always seem to be in the PHP forum =P I run Windows XP Home Edition, and, according to the tutorial, I can't make make my computer into an ASP server. I do have a web host that supports ASP, but their text editor (I think it's called open source, or IDE) isn't really that user friendly, and I have to refresh the page every time I change something =/

I do have a web host that supports ASP, but their text editor (I think it's called open source, or IDE) isn't really that user friendly, and I have to refresh the page every time I change something =/
That's the case with every server language. PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, you name it. They operate on the server, meaning you can only see them in action upon requesting something from the server."Open Source" or "IDE" are not names of a text editor. Those are classifications. "Open source" means that the code of the text editor is freely available, and assuming you have the proper compiler, you can make your own version of it. "IDE" means "Integrated Development Environment", or in simpler terms - a text editor for developers which may also include additional tools specifically for the developer (like the "Preview in browser" link found in most web development IDEs).I'd avoid using an editor from a hosting company. They're usually locked into them. A recent one I had to deal with was BlueVoda. The problem in the end turned out to be a wrong path + a wrongly redirected domain name (both silly user mistakes), but until I was able to figure it out it took me a whole day. They've got so caught up with end users that they've forgotten about web devs and IT staff like myself. In case you end up doing any app, always keep in mind - some end users never learn. Your app will only be great if it's easy for IT staff to assist them ("Unknown error" is never a good error message).

Thank you for the clarification, but I don't think I quite understand. I use "Aptana Studio" to write HTML, CSS, & JavaScript. It also says it's capable of JSON, ScriptDoc, & XML. So, because when I create a new HTML document and it already has the DTD Doctype, html, head, meta, & body tags, and because when I create an HTML element, it automatically creates a closing tag, that makes it an IDE? Also, would something like Wikipedia be open source, because it has a user editing capability?I use StartLogic as my webhost and their code editor thingy (I don't know what to call it now =P ) looks like this. What would that be called? It's alot like MS Notepad.

An IDE allows you to perform more than one phase of the Software Development Life Cycle within a single application. For example, it may allow you to both write code and debug it. Code completion may be included as a feature of an IDE, but it is not defining.Open Source means that the source code (e.g. the actual programming language code it was written in) of the application is freely available with no restrictions. MediaWiki, the application that powers Wikipedia, is open source - you can do whatever you want (theoretically) with the source code.The StartLogic online editor would just be called a "text editor" or "plain-text editor".

What you described as an IDE describes "Aptana Studio". Thank you for the clarification on text-editors and open source! I understand now =D~Thanks!EDIT: close this thread, please.

Archived