Dns Server

shadowayex

I know there's going to be people advising my against this probably, but I want to learn how to set up a DNS server.Let me explain. I plan on having many servers. My main Web server, a Mail server, a Database server, eventually a Game server, and a DNS server to run my own domain name(s). I may end up adding servers as I may open a small scale hosting service for local businesses.I read up on some information for running DNS servers, but there's so many different ways and whatnot that I just keep getting confused.For my DNS server, I just want to use it to assign domain names to my server(s). All servers will have static IPs, so Dynamic DNS is not needed. I will be using Debian, and read something about BIND, but ended up confused shortly after since there's a vast amount of options for DNS servers and whatnot.Does anyone have any information or resources that will HELP me, instead of confuse me with information that really doesn't apply to my needs?

Get Windows Server 2003 or (better yet) Windows Server 2008. At least get the trial. Even if you don't like it and/or don't buy it, you'll at least learn how DNS servers work in general, and will be more prepared the next time you encouter the Debian DNS. Windows Server 2008 is VERY easy, and yet very powerful.

So are you buying a c-class of IP addresses? If you are going to run a domain name server, then you will need to buy global IP addresses to assign/redirect each and every domain name that you end up hosting.I know nothing about Debian, but found this article when I Googled "debian dns server"http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_dns

Archived