Date Object question

SmokingMan

I'm having some trouble understanding the Date Object syntax. I understand the "get" & "set", but what is it that goes before the date object? In "dateObj.setTime()", what is it that you put in place of "dateObj"? Is it a variable of my choosing? Or are there certain keywords that need to be used in this instance? I don't know why I'm having so much trouble getting this into my little pea brain, but right now it's about as clear as mud.Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.smiley-channel.de_technik014.gif

I'm having some trouble understanding the Date Object syntax. I understand the "get" & "set", but what is it that goes before the date object? In "dateObj.setTime()", what is it that you put in place of "dateObj"? Is it a variable of my choosing? Or are there certain keywords that need to be used in this instance? I don't know why I'm having so much trouble getting this into my little pea brain, but right now it's about as clear as mud.Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.smiley-channel.de_technik014.gif

I don't work with the dateobject much but the samples you have there seem wrong. Is this from the w3schools tutorials???

No, they are from the JavaScript Bible v5. Here's the table I was looking at: Table 10-1: Some Date Object MethodsMethod---Value---Range DescriptiondateObj.getTime() 0-... Milliseconds since 1/1/70 00:00:00 GMTdateObj.getYear() 70-... Specified year minus 1900; four-digit year for 2000+dateObj.getFullYear() 1970-... Four-digit year (Y2K-compliant); version 4+ browsersdateObj.getMonth() 0-11 Month within the year (January = 0)dateObj.getDate() 1-31 Date within the monthdateObj.getDay() 0-6 Day of week (Sunday = 0)dateObj.getHours() 0-23 Hour of the day in 24-hour timedateObj.getMinutes() 0-59 Minute of the specified hourdateObj.getSeconds() 0-59 Second within the specified minutedateObj.setTime(val) 0-... Milliseconds since 1/1/70 00:00:00 GMTdateObj.setYear(val) 70-... Specified year minus 1900; four-digit year for 2000+dateObj.setMonth(val) 0-11 Month within the year (January = 0)dateObj.setDate(val) 1-31 Date within the monthdateObj.setDay(val) 0-6 Day of week (Sunday = 0)dateObj.setHours(val) 0-23 Hour of the day in 24-hour timedateObj.setMinutes(val) 0-59 Minute of the specified hourdateObj.setSeconds(val) 0-59 Second within the specified minuteI was just unsure as to what the "dateObj" represented, and if it was required, a reserved word, or a variable of my choosing.

dateObj just means the object that represents your date. Date obj can be 'llamapalooza' as long as you do this at the beginning of your script:llamapalooza = new Date();:)