Table Minimum Width

damiancds

Okay, you might be a little confused as to what I mean so, an explanationSay my page constists of a header and footer (included through php)and my main content is located in a tableI want it so nearly every screen resolution can see it (so nobody has to horizontally scrollso i have a tag <table width="90%> but, i want it so that when they resizetheir browser, the table resizes (obviously from the 90%) but it gets so they canresize too much (too small) and my menu tab (css generated) gets screwed up(the last "tab" gets dropped down, which i don't want)so i'm asking if i can have a percentaged width that will only shrink so far like sayonly to 500px?let me know if i'm not clear enough or somethingthanks in advance,

Hello, I weould suggest you ditch the table for layout and use div's and css. CSS can specify min-width and width, so you can use width:90%; min-width:500px, but be sure to check the results in IE6 if at all you care about those 40% of users because I have a nasty feeling that IE6 does not understand min-width, and interprets width as min-width.

• 6 months later...

sorry for taking so long to respond, but I find it annoying if the original poster doesn't give feedback with how it turned out so...I thank you for the advice, as of now, there is only one table in use on the site for an actual table.so far the css method is working a lot better and easier once I spent the time to learn it (still learning a little now and then)so, thanks for the advice,

Archived