Display A Message Or Animated Gif While File Is Uploading

hp1

I dont want a progress bar. I just want to show my users that the server is busy while the file they have submitted for upload is uploading. I have a max file size of 10MB so potentially they could be staring at a page that is not doing very much for quite a while depending on their connection speed.Either an animated gif or a <div> that appears (like the one that appears if you do a search on this forum) would be sufficent. I can post my upload.php file if necessary.Thanks

You could just use CSS to position a gif in the middle of the screen with a high z-index to put it over everything else. You can also use a semi-transparent mask layer behind the gif so that they can't click on anything else on the page while it's working.

You could just use CSS to position a gif in the middle of the screen with a high z-index to put it over everything else. You can also use a semi-transparent mask layer behind the gif so that they can't click on anything else on the page while it's working.
Ok i've tried a few simple things. But nothing happens. When I test it (by pressing the submit button) the page remains and the only way you can tell something is supposed to be happening is that the usual browser progress bar is blank.Because the upload script is sending a request to the server do I need to use javascript in order to get the browser client to display something until the server request (uploading the file) has finished?

Archived