Need To Be Reviewed: The Weirdo Zone

Guest Jaibyrd

Guest Jaibyrd

Greetings and Salutations all!This is a long time coming for me as I've been building sites for years ever since I taught myself HTML back in college. However, this has come back to bite me in the rear as I wanted a new look for my long-time corner of the web and I decided to try and sit down and teach myself CSS as that seems to be the way to go now. Hence this mess:http://www.theweirdozone.comOnly the main page is finished to my thinking and before I apply this look the rest of the site (not all sections are up, so be warned when clicking around the menu, I took quite a bit down for the redesign) I would like some feedback on what I could possibly do better with the code so it looks decent on all browsers. At the moment I think it looks the way I want it on Firefox (which I use exclusively) and Safari (Which I never use, but I checked anyway), but I cannot check how it looks on IE thanks to I run a Mac at home and at my work I'm still stuck using IE 5, which makes it look like everything's shifted to the right for some reason... So if I need to change the CSS to make it match in IE6 (or even IE 5), could you please let me know and what tips and tricks I can use for such (Oh you out there who are wiser than I in this CSS love)? Also, one other word of warning, the gap between the menu and where the content begins is supposed to be there. That's where I'll be sticking a preview image/link for my upcoming webcomic just as soon as I have the rest of the site finished. Thanks a ton in advance and I look forward to all of your help in this matter! :)

Looks pretty nice on my Mac (Firefox) and IE7. I really like the corner doodads and the color scheme. Very retro, Peter Maxx, 1960's album art kind of feel.You can stop worrying about IE5 for the Mac. No one uses IE on the Mac anymore, and the lowest version for the PC you need to worry about is IE6.Eventually, though, you will run into consistency problems with IE7. As much as you don't want to, you need to switch to a strict DTD and get rid of old-fashioned things like the <center> tag.And ohmigosh you want to want to learn how to make menus in CSS instead of javascript. There is good stuff here: http://www.cssmenus.co.uk/The page takes a while to download, even over my high-speed DSL. Usually, that means big images, but I checked some of yours and they don't seem outrageously big. So maybe it's your host. There's probably not a lot you can do about that now, but it's something to keep in mind. (It might also be the huge amount of Javascript you're loading and running--don't know.)

Archived