Help with designing a form

Guest nxwhitney

Guest nxwhitney

I work in learning and development and would like to make a multiple-choice online form that would allow users to take a test and have the results immediately posted to them as well as send emails with the results to the user, myself and supervisors.What direction should I take? I have a strong knowledge of HTML and speak fluent Visual Basic. Any suggestions?

You'll be needing some server side code really to process the form and send the e-mails. Since you know VB the best choice for you would probably be ASP as you'll be able to do the coding in VBscript. If you get a good grounding in it, then theres plenty of tutorials around that will introduce you to sending e-mail using ASP.Obviously you can try the w3schools ASP forum if you need more help with this.

I'd recommend databasing the information as well. This does introduce something new into the equation, but given your VBscript background, the transition into ASP shouldn't be painful. So why not learn something new!:)Go through the http://www.w3schools.com/sql/ tutorial and decide which database to use, most-likely MS SQL Server since you're already exposed to those tools.In the past, I've had to deal with tests that get emailed and never databased. Needless to say its a pain. There is simply no means of reporting. So, on top of actually having all the results stored and not subject to the email vortext, the reporting capabilities is mainly why I'd suggest you database the test results. Again, you don't NEED to, but most anyone would highly recommend it.