Dataset - Getting Rows From Refcursor

Guest jetmantrunks

Guest jetmantrunks

i have a dataset (.xsd file). i need to add a query to the table adapter using "start with" and "connect by" but when i try to use that select i get a message saying the syntax is wrong, apperantly it doesnt recognize the usage of "connect by" and "start with".what i did the last time was write a stored procedure (all i needed was 1 specific int) and since "use existing stored procedure" is greyed out for me i used a query of "select func(:user_id) from DUAL" to get the value from the function.so far so good (sort of). but now i need to use "connect by" again and this time get multiple rows so i can no longer use a function returning NUMER. i was told to use a sys_refcursor as the return type in the stored procedure and it works, but when i use "select func(:user_id) from DUAL" in the adapter on that function it tells me "RSET is not a known type" or something like that, meaning it cant handel sys_refcursor.how can i work around this? if i change the function to a procedure and just do a normal select would that fetch the records back to the dataset in a useable form?another way i was offered was to somehow open the sys_refcursor at the end of the select and that would output the records in a normal manner. anyone got an idea how and if it would work?thanks.

Archived