Problem With Example In Xslt Tutorial

tinwatchman

Hello -So I'm trying to use a modified version of the script example provided here - http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_client.asp - on a page I'm working on. When I try to test it on IE7, though, I get the following error: "The stylesheet does not contain a document element. The stylesheet may be empty, or it may not be a well-formed XML document." Not sure what's going on here. It sounds like there's something wrong with the way my XSL stylesheet is formatted? ... Here's a link to the XSL stylesheet and the XML I'm using it to style:...... Anyone run into this problem themselves? Any suggestions?edit: went back and deleted links to avoid search engine indexing of my test server. Solution I found is below.

Okay, never mind. I think I got it. Looks like Microsoft's XML parser was going screwy for some reason. Here's what I added, in case anyone ever runs into the same problem:

function loadXMLDoc(filename) {	var xmlDoc;	if (window.ActiveXObject) { // IE code		xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");		[color="#FF0000"]xmlDoc.validateOnParse = false;[/color]	} else if (document.implementation && document.implementation.createDocument) {		// code for Mozilla and everyone else		xmlDoc = document.implementation.createDocument("","",null);	} else {		alert("LoadXMLDoc nonfunctional in this browser!");	}	xmlDoc.async = false;	xmlDoc.load(filename);	return xmlDoc;}

The line in red takes the parser from throwing out errors if it doesn't validate for some reason. Hope this helps someone.

Archived