Url Rewrite Alternative?

rick2302

My host does not allow Mod-Rewrite, so I am stuck with www.mysite.com/index.php?topic=316I know it's better for SEO to have something like www.mysite.com/topic/316 and I think I can do that using Mod-Rewrite.So, is there any alternatives to using Mod-Rewrite, or should I look into a new host?If a new host, do you know of any that are US-based, PHP-friendly, reputable, and reasonably priced?TIA

Guest FirefoxRocks
If a new host, do you know of any that are US-based, PHP-friendly, reputable, and reasonably priced?
You should look into ComputingHost (also known as Trap17 and Astahost). https://www.xistosupport.com/billing/cart.phpIf you want free hosting, but with a 1-line text ad at the bottom, try Qupis, they are from the same company as ComputingHost.

The main alternative to URL rewriting is the PATHINFO method, whereby the user enters, for example, index.php/316, and Apache will actually read index.php, but the "316" bit can be retrieved in the PHP script using $_SERVER['PATH_INFO']. I thought I wrote an article on this, but it seems to have been lost...

Archived