Beginner's Practice Html Website

shakt77

Hi. I'm brand new to HTML & w3schools. I downloaded the Mainpage, Page1, & Page2.htm files for practice but I am unable to modify them. I assumed that when I opened them I would see the source code similar to the "you try it" examples but it only displays the final web page. I run a MAC OS X 10 platform using their textedit application. I'm not sure if this could be the reason. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you !!!

Edit: misunderstoodThe TextEdit program on Mac OS X does render the HTML for you, if you want to edit the source you have to use another program like TextWrangler.Remember, however, that you won't be able to see the ASP code used to generate the pages as that is parsed server-side.

Edit: misunderstoodThe TextEdit program on Mac OS X does render the HTML for you, if you want to edit the source you have to use another program like TextWrangler.Remember, however, that you won't be able to see the ASP code used to generate the pages as that is parsed server-side.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob Somerville

I too am having trouble with Mainpage, Page1, & Page2.htm.I can successfully alter the contents of Pages 1 and 2 but when I tried to add links to Mainpage to open Pages 3, 4, 5 and 6 which I had added then only the link to Page 4 works but not to Pages 3, 5 or 6. I used Notepad to write them and I can see nothing wrong with them. I have used codebox to copy my version of Mainpage and Page 6 below. Can anybody see what I have done wrong?

<html><body><h1>This is my Main Page</h1><p>This is some text.</p><p><a href="page1.htm">This is a link to Page 1</a></p><p><a href="page2.htm">This is a link to Page 2</a></p><p><a href="page3.htm">This is a link to Page 3</a></p><p><a href="page4.htm">This is a link to Page 4</a></p><p><a href="page5.htm">This is a link to Page 5</a></p><p><a href="page6.htm">This is a link to Page 6</a></p></body></html>

<html><body><h1>This is Page6</h1><p>This is some text.</p></body></html>

Archived