header difficulties

me16_17

ok im trying to make a basic not really all that secure password system (because i dont know how to use encrypted files :) )http://65.170.242.137/mail.phpbut i am getting this errorWarning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mail.php:7) in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mail.php on line 47Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mail.php:7) in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mail.php on line 48it has been giving me this error whenever i try to use the header() command

still cant seem to get it to workheres the code

<?php $auth = false; // Assume user is not authenticatedif (isset( $PHP_AUTH_USER ) && isset($PHP_AUTH_PW)) {    // Read the entire file into the variable $file_contents    $filename = 'password.txt';    $fp = fopen( $filename, 'r' );    $file_contents = fread( $fp, filesize( $filename ) );    fclose( $fp );    // Place the individual lines from the file contents into an array.    $lines = explode ( "\n", $file_contents );    // Split each of the lines into a username and a password pair    // and attempt to match them to $PHP_AUTH_USER and $PHP_AUTH_PW.    foreach ( $lines as $line ) {        list( $username, $password ) = explode( ':', $line );        if ( ( $username == "$PHP_AUTH_USER" ) &&             ( $password == "$PHP_AUTH_PW" ) ) {            // A match is found, meaning the user is authenticated.            // Stop the search.            $auth = true;            break;        }    }}if ( ! $auth ) {    header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="Private"');    header('HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized');    echo 'Authorization Required.';    exit;} else {    echo '<P>You are authorized!</P>';} ?>

I'm not exactly sure what your header problem is....but you could cut down some of your code and just use the file command....Instead of:

$filename = 'password.txt';   $fp = fopen( $filename, 'r' );   $file_contents = fread( $fp, filesize( $filename ) );   fclose( $fp );   // Place the individual lines from the file contents into an array.   $lines = explode ( "\n", $file_contents );

You could have:

$filename = 'password.txt';$lines=file($filename);

file() will read the contents of a file into an array. :)