Which Is Better...

Piyush

Which web server is better iis or apache...I am using iis 5.1 right now... :)
Yeah, it depends. Here are 5,540,000 thoughts on the subject.
...people who use PHP use Apache...
because they both are "free"
...IIS is for ASP and ASP.Net...
because both are Microsoft products and are already installed on Windows
It depends. I think people who use PHP use Apache. IIS is for ASP and ASP.Net I believe.
ColdFusion is friendly with both.

For me, personally, IIS5 sucks. However, IIS7 and above rocks, especially if you also install the RewriteModule.PHP, as well as ColdFusion, and actually pretty much any S3L is friendly with both. ASP and ASP.NET are the only exception... they are natively supported only in IIS. Apache has third party modules that cover about 99% of what ASP and ASP.NET are capable of, but since its a third party, they can never cover everything.In the case of Windows and IIS7, it's much easier to set up a secured shared hosting server environment with as much privilages as possible (e.g. execution rights, user specific module usage, etc.). Doing the same with Linux is either going to require that you pay for a specialized Linux environment (yes, there are payed distributions of Linux!), or tweak the internals of a free distribution, or (if you're really lucky) read tons of manual on a free distribution, and after two or three months of experimentation, get halfway there.The only problem of IIS (any version) is that it's bundled with Windows. In the case of IIS7, if you want to get its more advanced capabilities, you need Windows Server 2008 (the Windows Vista version is a total crap; useful for nothing more than personal testing). Depending on the version you want, you'll need between $469 (Windows Web Server 2008) and $3,999 (Windows Server 2008 Enterprise), and even though the $469 version may seem like a decent deal (in comparrison to the Enterprise one that is), keep in mind that Enterprise and other editions have some nifty cool features you might want, like Hyper-V (a great virtual machine... useful for testing new configuration in an isolated environment), support for more than 32 GB RAM in the 64 bit versions (up to 2 TB on Enterprise), "Remote Desktop Services" role (woudn't it be nice if you could be a host that offers THAT to users?), and perhaps some more (though I can't notice anymore significant ones on Windows Server 2008's web site).It should also be noted that it's a little harder on Windows to set up a secured MySQL setup, if not impossible. You can only do a secured database setup with MSSQL. The cost of MSSQL 2008 will be between "$15 per processor per month" (Web Edition) and a one time "$24,999 per proccessor" (Enterprise Edition). See MSSQL 2008 pricing for details.

Archived