Need Coding Assistance

McCordRm

First things first.I build my site like Lego blocks. Each section of the site has it's own code and I justput it whereever I want on the page. Works like a champ.My problem is that it uses the Include function. The code for a section is located in itsown CSS file and called like so: <!--#include file="code/Main/MainMenu.inc" -->I also tried a register function like this:<%@ Register Src="MainMenu.ascx" TagPrefix="uc" TagName="MainMenu" %>And called like this:<uc:MainMenu ID="ucMainMenu" runat="server"></uc:MainMenu>Both ways issue an error using Office Live because they don't allow server-side parsing.I'm trying to figure out another way to do this that Office Live will accept. I CAN placeall the CSS code in every page, but it's a pain in the ###### way to make changes to mysite. Here is how the site is supposed to look: (Using a different web host)http://www.sidinginc.com/websiteHere is the site at Office Live:http://www.richardmccord.comYou'll see that the top menu us blank, and nothing else shows up on the site. The backgroundworks because it's called from the Style css like:<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="code/layout.css" />

Find another host! There are JavaScript-y client-side-ish workarounds, but server-side inclusion is the best way.

Seriously. I took the time to look at your include files. Somehow I imagined there'd be all kinds of special Microsofty VBScript or some such, but it's just normal code.If it's a free site you want, you can do the same thing just about anywhere as long as they provide PHP (or ASP, but that's icky Microsoft again) -- and these days, most of the free sites give you access to all kinds of stuff. And if you want to pay, you get even more stuff.Here's a PHP include statement exactly the way you'd embed it in your HTML:<?php include 'myfile.inc' ?>It's even easier than that OfficeLive stuff. :)

Yea, my only complaint with Office Live has been the stuff they don't allow.But as you stated it's free- plus, no stupid advertisements, etc.As you can see at the other host, my coding is just fine so I understand the how...just not how with Office Live's roadblocks.

Archived