Templates For Websites & Online Shops?

webcat21

Hi allWhat templates can you recommend to build a website and small online shop? ideally looking for free (or low cost), templates using CSS styled htmlI also may need shopping cart for the shop, unless anyone knows of another (preferably free) way of doing it (stock control etc)? I definitely want to use CSS Im a beginner with good basic Dreamweaver skills and software, from the UKThanks a lot for all help! :)

as far as looking for templates, a google search might get you started in the right direction. If you already have some skills, then I would advise just building it yourself. You'll get exactly what you want and you'll have more control over it, and you can make sure it passes validation. As far as shopping carts go, I know paypal offers merchant services. Another option is to sign up for verisign, and get a reputable secure connection service provider who can handle credit card transactions for you. Personally, getting the secure part down while having a decent looking site will go a long way towards making people likely to buy items off of your site.

• 3 months later...

Ya. Well, DW has both templates and premade layouts. I'm not sure what the difference is really, except templates come as a .dwt file and the pre-made layouts are just regular html files. But in any case, are either used much in industry?

DreamWeaver "Templates" are just HTML files with certain bits made read-only (as opposed to the common meaning of "template", that is, a complete design which you can add your own content to). The layouts are meant as a convenient starting point for your own documents. In the real world, the DW templating system is really irritating, and the dynamic inclusion of content server-side probably wins all the time. I suppose the layouts may be used sometimes... but it's usually better to write your HTML from scratch.

Archived