Strange Behaviour Of Ie6

Wotan318

I have with IE6 on my website.For some reason the background is putted down in IE6 (background square, two light lines, must be between image teaser). The website is

http://www.mrgole.net/EDsolution_typo

.It only works if I delet the menu and the image teaser (in html), but thats not the solution. I tryed changing the css of menu and teaser, even when I deleted was the same. In html coords the image height is 177px, but the background is putted down for 116px and when I deleted the menu from html it was the same.Any suggestion?p.s. I didn't correct the css for IE7 and IE8 yet and the speed of webpage is not optimize.

your page doesn't validate, and some of the errors are because you used multiple id's within the same page, mismatched tags, and quite a few parsing errors. I would try getting your page to validate, focusing more on accommodating modern browsers like FF, IE7/8 and then tweak or add conditional statements for IE6. I'm sure if these errors are making current pages wonky in modern day browsers, IE6 isn't going to behave any better. Also, your source code was dizzying... :) hah.edit: same goes for your css as far as validating.and you have so many stylesheets im not sure where to begin looking for the background image styling info.

I know its not you, I could tell that it was CMS generated. My only point was it seems more practical to optimize for IE7/8, FF, etc and then add backwards compatibility. IE freaks out when pages don't validate. Where is your background image being declared anyway?

Ok, I found it. It's being declared in your CSS file: styles.css. Things seem OK, but with so much going on that source code, all those conditional statements, javascript, etc and formatting, it's really hard to see what's going on. The only thing I can recommend through is get out of the developing for IE6 first mindset. Develop for something that's actually standards compliant. Looking at the facts about IE6: a) it's about 8 years old:) Microsoft has dropped support for itc) not very many people use it anymoreClearing up the errors might provide more consistency which might trickle down and resolve IE6 bugs. Anyway, maybe someone around here will be able to provide more light. The only thing I can think of trying is to use the universal selector (*) to set all page elements to have no padding and margins, and then set them explicitly one-by-one.

Clearing up the errors might provide more consistency which might trickle down and resolve IE6 bugs. Anyway, maybe someone around here will be able to provide more light. The only thing I can think of trying is to use the universal selector (*) to set all page elements to have no padding and margins, and then set them explicitly one-by-one.
i actually think you have more errors now.

Ok, I found it. It's being declared in your CSS file: styles.css. Things seem OK, but with so much going on that source code, all those conditional statements, javascript, etc and formatting, it's really hard to see what's going on. The only thing I can recommend through is get out of the developing for IE6 first mindset. Develop for something that's actually standards compliant. Looking at the facts about IE6: a) it's about 8 years old:) Microsoft has dropped support for itc) not very many people use it anymoreClearing up the errors might provide more consistency which might trickle down and resolve IE6 bugs. Anyway, maybe someone around here will be able to provide more light. The only thing I can think of trying is to use the universal selector (*) to set all page elements to have no padding and margins, and then set them explicitly one-by-one.
Poins a and b are correct, but unfortunately, if you work for a large, sluggish company, may of yuor internal business customers are still using IE6, in fact due to security lock downs, in many circumstances, IE6 is the only browser they are allowed to use. Worse still, in this case, browsers will not be upgraded any time soon. It's not quite time to drop support for IE6

If you are creating an intranet site for a company that uses IE6, design and test for IE6. If not, design for the standard complaint browsers first.

Archived