Contacting The Developers Of Css

fallen00sniper

I am interested in asking the CSS developers to add a value to the background attribute that would allow more control, but I cannot find the official site.Does anyone know of a way to contact the CSS developers?This is my idea.

background:url(image/location/type.jpg) top center repeat-x-20px;

Basically allowing you control how many times the image should repeat.Why would this be useful some might ask.Well if you are creating a navigation menu and using the <em> and <b> tags to allow for second and third background images, say rounded ends, it would be very useful to control how many times the a:hover would repeat the image so that it does not overlap the end caps.

If I understand you, The CSS3 draft has what you want, and with more flexibility. You'll be able to specify as many background images as you want, and control their positions:http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layeringSo when this gets implemented, you won't need to create dummy elements to hold your endcaps.

The official public mailing list of the CSS working group is www-style@w3.org[1], post to there if you want to contact them. Doesn't look too busy, either!The official CSS site is http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/.

If I understand you, The CSS3 draft has what you want, and with more flexibility. You'll be able to specify as many background images as you want, and control their positions:http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layeringSo when this gets implemented, you won't need to create dummy elements to hold your endcaps.
That appears to be just layering the background without the need to layer div tags, what I am referring to is actually controlling how many pixelsa background will repeat with maybe some other control variables.However this is interesting stuff as well.Thanks.

It's hard to be sure, since this hasn't been implemented, but consider this:background-image: url(left.png), url(center.png), url(right.png);background-position: top left, left 10px top 0px, right 10px top 0px;background-origin: content-box, content-box, content-box;background-repeat: repeat-x, repeat-x, repeat-x;If I understand correctly, setting the position of the "center" background to 10px relative to the left edge means that the "left" background will repeat until it has filled the space from 0px to 10px on the horizontal. I think that's how to do what you want.Maybe Ingolme will jump in here and set me straight. :)

It's hard to be sure, since this hasn't been implemented, but consider this:background-image: url(left.png), url(center.png), url(right.png);background-position: top left, left 10px top 0px, right 10px top 0px;background-origin: content-box, content-box, content-box;background-repeat: repeat-x, repeat-x, repeat-x;If I understand correctly, setting the position of the "center" background to 10px relative to the left edge means that the "left" background will repeat until it has filled the space from 0px to 10px on the horizontal. I think that's how to do what you want.Maybe Ingolme will jump in here and set me straight. :)
Well I suppose I can only hope they have thought of it finally.

Archived