How To Vertically Align Ul In A Block?

GPSJane

I have an unordered list, all floating - ie. a horizontal nav bar.How do I get it to vertically align?No matter what I do it stays at the top of the block (defined by DIV). The links are the only thing in the block (and should stay that way). I have tried vertically aligning every level from A to LI to UL.

you mean for a vertical list? Try floating them left.
Er, no. It's a horizontal list.I just thought about something though; the links are displayed in blocks which means that vertically aligning them aligns the block not the text. I am guessing I need to make another id for the text itself. Sigh. Is there a short way around this or do I need to add yet another id to everything?

sorry, you weren't very clear. Are you trying to vertically align the text in the list?text-align didn't work? What's your code so far?

Ok, the html:<DIV id="nav_bar_middle"> <UL class="nav_list"> <LI class="nav_item"><A class="nav" href="_blank"><DIV id="middle">Home</DIV></A></LI> <LI class="nav_item"><A class="nav" href="_blank"><DIV id="middle">Invitation</DIV></A></LI> <LI class="nav_item"><A class="nav" href="_blank"><DIV id="middle">Map & Directions</DIV></A></LI> </UL></DIV>And the external CSS:#nav_bar_middle {height : 32px;background : #FFFF85;}UL.nav_list {list-style-type : none;margin : 0;padding : 0;vertical-align : middle;}LI.nav_item {float : left;vertical-align : middle;}A.nav {display : block;height : 33px;color : black;margin : 0px 5px 0px 5px;padding : 0px 5px 0px 5px;width : auto;vertical-align : middle;}A:active, A:hover {background : #FFDD3F;}#middle {vertical-align : middle;}

i got it, try using line-height on the <a>'shttp://phrogz.net/CSS/vertical-align/index.htmlits silly how you forget the simple things sometimes :)
Thanks it works.I am really tired so I am not following that page's explanation on why vertical-align doesn't work. The thing is, as with most work-arounds, the solution isn't exactly what I wanted to achieve. There are 2 things:First if the user changes the font size then the text is no longer vertically aligned. Secondly, the block itself is not aligned so if I change the size of the <A> block then when the user hovers over a link the top half of the parent block changes colour which is not middle aligned to the text. Ie. I would like a smaller block centrally aligned to the DIV block that 'lights up' when I hover.

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/I've learned a lot about making lists from this website. They have very clear examples that you can play around with and see how different values effect the list. It was also a good reference of the theory behind web design, and how something as simple as list can be made into almost all sorts of crazy stuff! All in all, I found it to be a very good learning experience. Plus, its all valid standards compliant code! :)

Archived