Show/hide <div>'s

DanH42

I'm trying to have a link that will make extra content show when it's clicked, then hide when it's clicked again. I've done it in the past, but I didn't save the code I used. Here's what I'm using now, which doesn't work:

<html><head><script type="text/javascript"><!--    function more() {       var a = document.getElementById(less);       var b = document.getElementById(more);          a.style.display = 'none';          b.style.display = 'block';    }    function less() {       var a = document.getElementById(less);       var b = document.getElementById(more);          a.style.display = 'block';          b.style.display = 'none';    }//--></script></head><body><div id="less"><a href="#" onclick="more();">More>></a></div><div id="more" style='display: none;'><a href="#" onclick="less();"><<Less</a><br>(content)</div></body></html>

You need quotation marks around all strings, including the ones you pass as parameters to the getElementById() method.

document.getElementById("less");

you could just wrap that all into one function like this:

function showHideList(listID) {	var listState = document.getElementById(listID).style.display;	if(document.getElementById(listID).style.display == 'block') {		document.getElementById(listID).style.display = 'none';	}	else {		document.getElementById(listID).style.display = 'block';	}}

just make sure your hidden section has the hidden value for the display property in your css.

Archived