Getting Another Page To Appear On Hover

jgallaway81

Page in question: The A&A Archives - Equipment: SteamBefore I started upgrading my site, the only solution I found for what I wanted was what you see here.As I dive a bit deeper into expanding my understanding of "other than HTML", I found an option that seems to be a bit more inline with what I want.When the visitor's mouse hovers over the current links, I would like a page to display in a hover box, which contains basic info on the engine (in this instance). This page would load into a box, roughly 600w by 400t. Then, when the link is clicked, a different page would load into the browser.Trying to accomplish this, I've figured that CSS is the answer, but I'm not certain.ANY help would be greatly appreciated.(and before anyone chews me out, I know that I shouldn't use tables to format the page, but I haven't gotten that far into CSS yet. Give me some time please.)

So what you're really asking about is the hover box? You would like a "page" to appear in it? Like, a whole other HTML document? Or just some formatted information? The difference is important, so we have to choose our words carefully.One way to do this involves a lot of javascript.Another involves javascript and some server scripting. I see you're using PHP. Do you have your data in a database?Another would involve CSS and a big chunk of HTML for each unique hover box. Not a big deal, really, especially if you can pull the info out of a database.There's always a pop-up window, but you'd need javascript to make that happen when the user hovers. Opening a popup when a user clicks is a piece of cake. It wouldn't take a LOT of javascript, but a little.One of the tricks involves response time. If the info is in your document already, no problem. If we have to go get it from your server in response to a hover, by the time it arrives, your user probably won't be hovering in the same spot anymore.I think you'd better explain your vision a little more clearly, and also give us a sense of your skill set.

Well, my original plan had entailed opening another page completely.But I hadn't considered the time delay of contacting the server and getting another page transferred to the user's computer.Since the information I want to display is likely never to change, that information could be written directly into the page, allowing it to be simply a hover box.Which means I should be able to use the basic tutorials to figure it out.Thanks! :) I wish I'd thought of all that BEFORE I'd posted.

Archived