Formatting Xslt File From Xml

RockDad

The example shown is a little different in the way that my xml file is configured, however I have no idea on how to configure the XSLT file to display the data within my xml file. Here is a sample of my xml file:<chart caption="TestChart" yAxisName="Median" bgColor="F7F7F7, E9E9E9" showValues="0" numVDivLines="10" divLineAlpha="25" labelPadding="5" yAxisValuesPadding="5"><categories><category label= "11/2009" /><category label= "12/2009" /><category label= "1/2010" /></categories><dataset seriesname= "Type1"><set value= "139" /><set value= "208" /><set value= "167" /></dataset><dataset seriesname= "Type2"><set value= "167" /><set value= "113" /><set value= "186" /></dataset></chart>I need to display this data like so:Type | 11/2009 | 12/2009 | 1/2010Type1 | 139 | 208 | 167Type2 | 167 | 113 | 186Any ideas to get me started would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Do you want to display it as a table, or as plain text (exactly as shown)? I'll assume you mean a table.

<?xml version="1.0"?><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/chart">  <html>  <body>  <table>	<thead>	<xsl:for-each select="categories">	  <tr>	  <xsl:for-each select="category">		<th><xsl:value-of select="@label" /></th>	  </xsl:for-each>	  </tr>	</xsl:for-each>	</thead>	<tbody>	<xsl:for-each select="dataset">	<tr>	  <th><xsl:value-of select="@seriesname" /></th>	  <xsl:for-each select="set">		<td><xsl:value-of select="@value" /></td>	  </xsl:for-each>	</tr>	</xsl:for-each>	</tbody>  </table>  </body>  </html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Do you want to display it as a table, or as plain text (exactly as shown)? I'll assume you mean a table.
<?xml version="1.0"?><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/chart">  <html>  <body>  <table>	<thead>	<xsl:for-each select="categories">	  <tr>	  <xsl:for-each select="category">		<th><xsl:value-of select="@label" /></th>	  </xsl:for-each>	  </tr>	</xsl:for-each>	</thead>	<tbody>	<xsl:for-each select="dataset">	<tr>	  <th><xsl:value-of select="@seriesname" /></th>	  <xsl:for-each select="set">		<td><xsl:value-of select="@value" /></td>	  </xsl:for-each>	</tr>	</xsl:for-each>	</tbody>  </table>  </body>  </html></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Yes, a table is correct.Thanks, this is way AWESOME and more than I expected. But at least I can try and figure out what's going on here. Thanks again, one more question.OK, this may be a dumb question but where are the <td> (columns)? I need a columns before the category label starts and I am not familier with the <thead> and <th> tags. Any ideas?

OK, I thought I was done. How do I add style elemnts to them for a css?

What XSLT does is to generate XHTML based on the XML.Having said that, how do you do it in XHTML? I'll let you try to figure that one out yourself (for exercise's sake).

Archived