Getting Started

HMCH

Hey All,I am very new to web design and programming. I found this site through a recommendation. I am reading about html and wanted to start putting some things in practice. I am doing this purely as a hobby and a learning experience. So on to my question…(and to show how new I really am), how do I get a simple domain name? I know there are many sites that offer then, but then you have to pay for hosting. In addition all I see are preformatted templates. I wanted to start my page from scratch and develop as I learn. Is there a way to get a domain name and find a host with paying little to no money? Thanks!

Note that while there are many free hosts around, if you also want your own domain name you'll probably still have to pay.

Thanks All, for the information. That is a big help. I see Godaddy.com has a .info domain for like $0.89 per month. Any other advice anyone is willing to throw my way would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

Many free hosts have severe limitations on what you can and cant do. Dont be surprised if PHP or any server side languages are disabled by default to prevent spam sites been setup for nothing.If your after all the bells and whistles in regards to coding with PHP or need access to PHP scripts then expect to pay. However, if you're just learning, then I recommend setting up a local server with Apache and PHP installed to test out scripts, such as wamp - http://www.wampserver.com

• 2 weeks later...
I found a free host that serves me well.They have provide a free sub-Domain for you to use.
Do they do PHPmail() ?
You can buy PHPmail() for a 1 time fee of $10.00.PHP and MySQL (5 databases) are active with this free host.

Archived