radio button question

ssffcc

for dropdownlist, I can use these lines to retrieve the selected value:

var countrylist=document.getElementById("country")    thecountry=countrylist.options[countrylist.selectedIndex].text

for radio buttons, I can only retrieve selected value by indexnumber:

var gender  if (document.form1.gender[0].checked)  {    gender= "male"  }  else if (document.form1.gender[1].checked)  {    gender= "female"  }

if there are many radio buttons on a form, it will be hard to memorize all the value's index number, is there such a way similar to retrieve value from dropdownlist that can make the coding easier for radio buttons?

JS

var radioButtons = document.form1.gender;var numberOfOptions = radioButtons.length;var i;var gender = "";for(i=0;i<numberOfOptions;i++){     if(radioButtons[i].checked)     {          gender = radioButtons[i].value;      }}

HTML

Male <input type="radio" name="gender" value="male"/><br/>Female <input type="radio name="gender" value="female"/>

I tried this, but not working, plz help:

<script type="text/javascript">function getcheckvalue(){  var choices = document.form1.foodmenu  var numofchoices = choices.length  var food  var i  var j = 0  var k      for (i=0; i<numofchoices; i++)  {    if (choices[i].checked)	{   food[j].value = choices[i].value   j=j+1	}  }    for (k=0; k<food.length; k++)  {    //display the checked food   }</script>

<form name="form1" method="post" onsubmit="getcheckvalue()"><input type="checkbox" value="pizza" name="foodmenu" />pizza<input type="checkbox" value="spaghetti" name="foodmenu" />spaghetti<input type="checkbox" value="steak" name="foodmenu" />steak<input type="submit" value="submit" /></form>

I see a couple of problems.Checkboxes cannot have the same name and do not group together so you cannot use choices.You did not declare var food as an array

var food = new Array()

and food would not have the propertie value anyways.you would check a checkbox like this

var checkbox = document.form1.checkbox1;var j;var food = new Array();if(checkbox.checked){    food[j] = checkbox.value;    j++;}

If you have a large number of checkboxes to check then you could make an array of the checkbox objects to loop through to save on code.