Css And Ie7

skaterdav85

IE8 certainly is an improvement over IE7 but its still waaaayy behind all of its rivals.CSS3 rounded corners shouldnt break your layout, they'll just appear square to those browsers that cant read CSS3.I've had a look at your site in FF3 and IE7 and they both look exactly the same (except the rounded corners of course).

That is what I initially thought too, but the 'Get Reviews' button doesn't fully show up on the home page, and when you click it after making a selection in the drop down menus, the site freezes in IE7, and I have no clue why. My only guess is some kind of invalid CSS, such as the CSS3 rounded corners feature I use on all my pages or the use of Shadowbox on the 'Map it!' link on the processed page.

Ah right, just tried that. The button - probably something to do with the width and margins on the button.As for the page crashing - how are you calling in the results for the reviews? I'm guessing MySQL and PHP? Or some sort of database. CSS should not cause a browser to crash (even IE).Best thing in this case is to do trial and error. Take bits out of your page, isolate parts, run bits seperatly on a test site or locally if you have a local server setup. Try it out with just raw html (no database or php stuff), see what happens, see if you can pin point whats causing the browser to crash.Hope that helps :)

Ah right, just tried that. The button - probably something to do with the width and margins on the button.As for the page crashing - how are you calling in the results for the reviews? I'm guessing MySQL and PHP? Or some sort of database. CSS should not cause a browser to crash (even IE).Best thing in this case is to do trial and error. Take bits out of your page, isolate parts, run bits seperatly on a test site or locally if you have a local server setup. Try it out with just raw html (no database or php stuff), see what happens, see if you can pin point whats causing the browser to crash.Hope that helps :)
Ya it's php/mysql. If it's not CSS, then why would it work fine in Chrome, Safari, IE8, and FF? The only thing different would be how the browsers renders the HTML, CSS, and JS, so I dont think my php/mysql would have anything to do with it since that is done all on the server. I initially thought it was an IE7 issues because I remember hearing that IE7 also has a lot of CSS rendering differences. Maybe I heard wrong though.

I have come across instances in the past where IE doesn't like some MySQL stuff and crashes, but yet FF, Safari et al display it fine but I cant remember much about it now, it was a while back it happened.Maybe look at how your outputting the database stuff. Sorry I cant be much more help on this as I dont know much else about it..if you want, post your code and some of the php/msql geeks, uh, i mean experts will have a peek at it and see if theres any potential errors.:)

I have come across instances in the past where IE doesn't like some MySQL stuff and crashes, but yet FF, Safari et al display it fine but I cant remember much about it now, it was a while back it happened.
I really don't think that's the case. As big dave pointed out PHP/MySQL runs on the server so IE, FF, Opera, etc. would never see that stuff and therefor couldn't be the cause. I'd say it's likely the CSS or JavaScript.

• 4 weeks later...

so i changed the stylesheet and commented out all the CSS3 rounded-corner stuff, but it still doesn't work in IE7. The 'Get Reviews' button on the homepage doesn't fully show up either in IE7.My stylesheet can be found here:http://studentsurvivors.com/css/styles.cssAnyone have any ideas? This is one time I actually have no idea what is wrong... :)

Archived