Color-Coded XHTML?

Mephistopheles

I was integrating some modifications with my Simple Machines Forums at my domain for Nintendo DS, and when I opened the file up to peek at it so I could alter it to my preferences, the XHTML was in all different colors. I don't even remember what it opened in. It looked like in Internet Explorer. I couldn't come up with a conclusion, because I could edit the text. In fact... let me check right now.Okay, the file type is "XML". It is opened at "C:\Documents and Settings\Parent\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for real_name.zip\modification.xml". And it says; <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE modification (View Source for full doctype...)> So is there a reason it is in color? If I coded some XML; oh wait! Is XML different from XHTML? Whoah, just noticed that. I need some quick answers, thanks everyone.

XHTML and XML are quite differant. XHTML is for web site codeing, while XML is used to structure data files.As far as I know, IE can't edit XHTML or XML, unless you have some sort of plug-in. You most likely used a text editor with syntax coloring.Not sure how much more detail I can give without you telling us more about your situation. I hope that helps, though.

If you mean that the systax of XML is colored, well... yes it is. They already told you XML is different then XHTML. And XML files without stylesheets applyed to them leave to the browser to decide how to make them look. IE automatically applyes it's systax coloring for previewing purposes, but it doesn't allow you to edit the source directly and (as you have noticed) it hides some parts (such as the doctype).