settimeout

joecool2005

Hi,this is the code:---------------------------------------var str=""function test1(id) { id=true setTimeout("test2(\"" + id+ "\")",1000);}function test2(id){ if(id) str="hello"; }var bool=""test1(bool)alert(str)---------------------------------------I have problem with settimeout. Why str is still empty?Thx Joe

Why str is still empty?
str is still empty because your test2() is not called until 1 second has passed.You'll need to test the variable after the setTimeout has had time to work like:
var str=""function test1(id) {id=truesetTimeout("test2(\"" + id+ "\")",1000);}function test2(id){if(id)str="hello";}var bool=""test1(bool)setTimeout('alert(str)', 1500);

-hs

Thank you.But now on my code I'm trying to do like you did.---------------------------------------------------------------var oWindowsT = new Object();var popupBlocked="";openWindowCheck("http://www.w3schools.com");function openWindowCheck(pageId) { var sPar = "width=500,height=500"; handle = window.open(pageId,"test",sPar); oWindowsT[pageId] = handle; setTimeout("checkOpen(\"" + pageId+ "\")",1000);}function checkOpen(pageId) { var popupBlocked=((!oWindowsT[pageId]) || (oWindowsT[pageId].closed)) ? true : false; }setTimeout('alert(popupBlocked)', 1500);---------------------------------------------------------------The popupBlocked variable is still empty. Do you know why? I supposed to see true or false.ThxJoe

You do not want to use var when setting the variable in your function, that makes it a local variable.

function checkOpen(pageId) {var popupBlocked=((!oWindowsT[pageId]) || (oWindowsT[pageId].closed)) ? true : false;}

-to-

function checkOpen(pageId) {popupBlocked=((!oWindowsT[pageId]) || (oWindowsT[pageId].closed)) ? true : false;}

-hs