simplexml

skaterdav85

Im using simplexml to pull an rss feed. One of the xml tags however is <itunes:subtitle>, so if i try

$item->itunes:subtitle

in my foreach loop, PHP throws a syntax error. Anyone know how to get around this? I already tried using an escape character like this:

$item->itunes\:subtitle

but it didnt work.

This is a namespaced node. You'll have to reach it with the children() method, by suppliying the namespace URI or prefix with the method's optional arguments.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a namespaced node. You'll have to reach it with the children() method, by suppliying the namespace URI or prefix with the method's optional arguments.
I think you can only use the children method if you're getting the attribute of a tag, kind of like the examples on the link you sent me. My XML looks like this:
<channel>  <item> 	 <itunes:author>Meghan McCoy</itunes:author> 	 <itunes:subtitle>some subtitle</itunes:subtitle>  </item></channel>

this is my php, but it doesnt work. What did I do wrong?

foreach($myXML->channel->item as $item) {	echo "Subtitle: ".$item->children('itunes:subtitle')."<br/>";}

Look carefully at the description of the children() method. You need to supply information for the namespace, not for the element you're looking for. You need to say

$item->children('itunes', true)

or (what I'd reccomend you use)

$item->children('http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd')

Either of those is only going to get a collection of all elements in that namespace that are child of the current $item. You need to traverse this collection, and extract the information you need from it.

Archived