successful overwrite?

Illasera

Hey all,Let`s assume am trying to overwrite with CSS the default (x)html link = <a> (anchor tag).now let`s say the CSS code look`s like this : (In own css file)#link_one{text-decoration:underline;color:#000000;padding-right:35px;margin-right:35px;text-align:right;direction:rtl;}(html file)html & head & body tags includedcss file includedin <body> tag :<a id ="link_one" href=test.html">test</a>end html tags and fileNow, The text-decoration, color, direction will be applied, but text-align, margin, padding won`t.I will have to create a <div style> in html code for it and define them (text-align, margin, padding) there.My questions are:1.)Why some tags use their own default behavior while ignroing my css overwrite?2.)How can i tell what i can/can`t overwrite.

In general, CSS selectors all have specificity, which defines how "important" they are: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#specificity. In most CSS implementations, this specificity can be overwritten by using the !important modifier after a property.However, in your case it's simply because the anchor element is inline, and therefore can't be aligned (as inline elements don't have a "block" to align them within). Margin and padding should still be applied, however.

In general, CSS selectors all have specificity, which defines how "important" they are: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#specificity. In most CSS implementations, this specificity can be overwritten by using the !important modifier after a property.However, in your case it's simply because the anchor element is inline, and therefore can't be aligned (as inline elements don't have a "block" to align them within). Margin and padding should still be applied, however.
Thank you :) I guess i need to read a bit...

Archived