#text elements with nodeValue = "\n"

kilp-web@sbcglobal.net

I have been experimenting with the following code:

<html><head><title>List the Tags</title><script type="text/javascript">function listTags(n, i) {        ++i;    // Loop through all the children of n    for(var m = n.firstChild; m !== null; m = m.nextSibling) {        alert(i);        if (m.nodeType === 3)  { // Text Node            if (m.nodeValue === "\n") {                alert(m.parentNode.nodeName + "    " + m.nodeName + "   " + m.firstChild + "\n" + "    nodeValue is 'linefeed'");            } else {                alert(m.parentNode.nodeName + "    " + m.nodeName + "   " + m.firstChild + "\n" + "    nodeValue is: " + m.nodeValue);            }        } else {            alert(m.parentNode.nodeName + "    " + m.nodeName + "    " + m.firstChild.nodeName);        }        listTags(m, i);    }}</script></head><body onload="listTags(document,0);"><button onclick="bounce.start()">Start</button><button onclick="bounce.stop()">Stop</button></body></html>

When I run this it shows that there are a lot of unexpected (by me at least) #text nodes whose nodeValue is "\n".Is there a bug in my code or are these real? If they are real, what purpose do they serve?I have run this on both Safari and Firefox with the same results.Thanks,Jerry

That symbol indicates a new line. You are examining all the lines in your document. Everywhere a new line begins, there must be a text node with a new line character. Sometimes it is the only character. Sometimes it may be combined with tabs or spaces.Their purpose is to make your page look readable. Those are the places where you hit the return key.

That symbol indicates a new line. You are examining all the lines in your document. Everywhere a new line begins, there must be a text node with a new line character. Sometimes it is the only character. Sometimes it may be combined with tabs or spaces.Their purpose is to make your page look readable. Those are the places where you hit the return key.
Thanks for the help. Once again, you have provided a clear and thoughtful response.Jerry

Archived