Building apps for smartphones - books, sites, resources?

chibineku

I have been away for some time, but now I am back with questions.I am looking to start writing apps for smartphones with bluetooth incorporated and web access for centralised data storage - at least, the first app I have in mind will need this. I don't really know where to start learning these things though. I'm pretty decent with CSS, HTML, MySQL, PHP and JavaScript/jQuery now, but I don't know how to go about building a DLable app built in...what do smartphones use? Some kind of C/Java variant? Any and all advice would be very appreciated, particularly recommendations for any books or sites that can give me an overview/ground up introduction to the field and the technologies required.Many thanks in advance :)

All smartphones use different languages, with their own set of APIs. The iPhone OS uses Objective-C, Windows Mobile uses C#, Android uses C++ (I think), and Symbian-60 and Blackberry OS uses Java. And of course you have to learn about their specific libraries that allow you to interact with the phone.Which smartphone were you thinking of developing for?

I just went and did some research and discovered that, as you say, there is a plethora (that sounds wrong, but ARE a plethora sounds even wrong...er) of different languages. I have yet to make the leap to 'proper' programming, but there's no time like the present and starting on the constraints of a small platform might make it easier. I personally have a BlackBerry, but I would ideally like to build for as wide an audience as possible. Perhaps once I have the idea working on a BlackBerry I can outsource a port to some other developer.I only need to learn enough JavaME, say, to create a simple front end/UI and to learn to cope with user input and inbuilt bluetooth methods. I am hoping I can bolt on a web back end to take advantage of the fact that I already know HTML/PHP/MySQL and to integrate with a website. I have already ordered a book called Beginning Java ME Platform which I hope will give me the basics, even though it's not tailored to the BlackBerry platform. Have you any experience building apps of this nature?

Archived