No standards?

Illasera

Hey all,Let me just ask once and for all, how you guys deal with the no browser standard issue?My issue, am using a paragraph to write something and am limiting it to a certian division (no code needed)in IE7/8 when i close one paragraph<p> and open a new , the line is getting break twice (end of paragraph and start of a new) at the size of 1em per break;That looks good in IEbut in safari/chrome/firefox, the line break is 5 billion pixels away from each other (Not really) but a lot LOT further then IE,Destroying the entire layout, any ideas how the poor client need to solve the big browsers with no standards issues?p.s is there a nobreak command or something, what if i dont want to break the lines at the end/start of a new paragraph?Thanks in advance.

Paragraphs are block-level elements - by definition they "break" at the end because they are self-contained two-dimensional elements on the page. If you don't want an element to clear, then it's not a paragraph you're looking for.Anyway, what you are talking about are rendering-level differences that are not so much covered by a "standard" but more by a set of guidelines as to what a "default" page should look like (mainly this); however, there are no real rules that browsers have to follow and they break no standard by having their own default styling (note how the page at the previous URL states "informative, not normative"). This is why we have CSS reset sheets.

Paragraphs are block-level elements - by definition they "break" at the end because they are self-contained two-dimensional elements on the page. If you don't want an element to clear, then it's not a paragraph you're looking for.Anyway, what you are talking about are rendering-level differences that are not so much covered by a "standard" but more by a set of guidelines as to what a "default" page should look like (mainly this); however, there are no real rules that browsers have to follow and they break no standard by having their own default styling (note how the page at the previous URL states "informative, not normative"). This is why we have CSS reset sheets.
Thank you mate!

Archived