RESTful interfaces

Guest SteveDCA

Guest SteveDCA

Hello,I am relatively new to using w3schools and am finding it a very useful tool. I was wondering if there are plans for a tutorial on RESTful style architechureMany thanks,Steve

I havent really developed any web services but I have used plenty that have a restful architecture. Isn't REST just a way of passing parameters to the URL of a service that spits out XML that you can parse through? Maybe I have a misunderstanding of REST, but I thought it was just providing access to your data in XML. So in something like php, you could write a script that accesses your db and spits out the results in XML using XMLWriter.

It doesn't even have to be XML. It's about having any kind of a predefined response structure (whether it's XML, JSON or something else) that is triggered on certain predefined URL parameters and/or special HTTP headers and/or request body and/or HTTP request method.

• 10 months later...

Because there's nothing to really make a tutorial about... you make a request to a URL as the service provider says, you get whatever response the service provider says. It's a "wild west" approach.It's not like SOAP where there's "these WSDL thingies" and all of those terms related to it. If you know HTTP (which you'll almost instantly learn if you use a tool like Fiddler; see my signature), you know REST.

Archived