Cant validate XHTML 1.0 Strict - NAME attribute necessary!

Sonsie

Im only starting to do my webpage layout with DIVS and CSS now.. i know its shocking, but at least im starting. Table based layout just seems soooo much easier.Okay so my problem is, i want my page to be valid XHTML 1.0 strict, but there is one lil thing that screws this up..Im using roll-over images for my navigation, and in order for it to work it needs to have a name attribute. But the name attribute is not valid XHTML 1.0 Strict. What am i supposed to do?Hope somebody can help me! Thank you!

Use some CSS instead of the Javascript roll over images.Your main navigation needs to be readable by everyone using a computer, so they need to be text links, if you insist on images, then make sure you have appropriate alt tags in place.I presume your using Dreamweavers rollover images - which produces horrible excess code.Probably best to look up CSS sprites to use as a replacement and then work from there. You can always use sprites to change the background and use plain text as the link - and use the usual :hover for the <a> tags to get the on hover effect.Hope that helps :)

Thanks! Ive just finished the menu with CSS now. Im not quite used to CSS yet, but rapidly figuring it out! Its amazing! I do realize that its not ideal to use images for navigation, but i really dont want a standard font here! I'l make sure to use alt tags and alternative navigation.Thank you for your reply real_illusions!

Archived