To fix the width of a table column

amakeler

Hi all,How do I absolutely fix the width of a table column?I am using RoboHelp. I want the left-most column to stay the same width. In RoboHelp I set the Column preferred width to be, say, 3cm. When I look at the HTML window, I see it has created the following HTML code:

<table x-use-null-cells style="x-cell-content-align: top; width: 100%; border-spacing: 0px;" cellspacing=0 width=100%><col style="width: 3cm;">

And for the top-left cell, it has created:

<td width=718>

However, as soon as I load the code in a browser, and I increase the width of the page, that left-most column forgets that it is supposed to be a fixed width and it also gets wider.So how do I absolutely fix the width of a table column?TIA - avi

I don't know what RoboHelp is, so maybe cm works, but as far as I know the fixed width values for CSS are px and pt. So maybe try pixels instead?

RoboHelp is a document authoring platform that can publish to Web, HTML Help (CHM) and Word documents.Ok, so that's it - no magic CSS that can force a table column to stay at constant width?Ok, I will try pixels. Don't see why it should make much difference, though.tnx - avi

I don't know what RoboHelp is, so maybe cm works, but as far as I know the fixed width values for CSS are px and pt. So maybe try pixels instead?

oh, well I guess cm is unit. Anyway, I think part of the issue that you're setting the table width in %'s but are trying to use fixed width inside it.

Archived