problem with div and <input> tags

Fmdpa

I have some inputs placed in a div (text box, and a couple buttons), and for some reason, the buttons are not clickable, and the text-boxes are not able to be written in. I've played around with z-indexs, but to no avail.

In a simplified form, here it is:

<html>.....<body><div> <!--the div containing everything in the body-->	<div> <!--the div that is causing issues-->		   <input type="text" size="20"> <!--does not accept text, or even show the text cursor onmouseover-->	<br/>		   <input type="button" value="submit"> <!--completely ignores the button too.-->	</div></div></body></html>

What about the rest of your page? And the CSS? Of course the simplified form is not going to cause any problems...

I figured it out! :) I've found that just narrowing it down, by deleting parts of the document and/or the stylesheet works really well for diagnosing the issue. But while I am at it, I might as well ask a question about a stylesheet related issue. I have by background set for a certain file:

body {background: #000 url('bg.jpg') no-repeat center top;}

But when I change it to something else...

body {background: #000 url('new.jpg') no-repeat center top;}

...it keeps the same image for the background. I've cleared the browser cache, restarted the browser, everything I can think of! But the image still remains unchanged, or, in most situations it doesn't display any image at all, even though the paths are correct...etc. But when I embed the stylesheet in the document, I can change the background-image just fine!

Are you sure there isn't another rule that is overriding it? Use a debugging application (Firebug / Webkit inspector) to check what rules are actually being applied to an element.

Here's the stylesheet:

::selection { background: #7f7f7f; color: #dfdfdf; }	::-moz-selection { background: #7f7f7f; color: #dfdfdf; }		/*this is the body and the body div formatting*/		body {background:#000;}	.menu {width:960px;height:2000px; margin: 0 auto; overflow:hidden; background:#000 url('SRC/new.jpg') no-repeat center top;}	/*end (btw, this works just fine when embedded into the <head> section of the webpage:<style type="text/css">...</style>, but when linked:<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/style.css">...the background doesn't display correctly.)*/		/*here's the rest of the stylesheet...*/		ul.tabs {position:relative; top:244px; left:-40px; z-index:3; display:inline;}	ul.tabs,li {display:inline;}		#a{	position:relative;	left:0px;	}		#b{	position:relative;	left:-20px;	}		#c{	position:relative;	left:-30px;	}		#d{	position:relative;	left:-50px;	}		#e{	position:relative;	left:-60px;	}	 #f{	position:relative;	left:-75px;	}		.tab	{	width:150px;	height:75px;	border:none;	}		.thumb	{	width:100px;	height:100px;	opacity:0.5;	filter:alpha(opacity=50);	position:relative;	border:5px solid #515151;	}			img.thumb:hover	{	border-color:#414141;	}		p	{	font-family:Calibri;	font-size:15px;	color:#fff;	}		hr	{	text-align:center;	width:500px;	}	a:link,a:visited	{	text-decoration:none;	color:#757575	}	a:hover,a:active	{	text-decoration:none;	color:#cbcbcb	}

Aha! Thanks to a debugger, I found out that when I did <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/style.css">, and in the stylesheet was a reference to the bg image ('emp3.jpg') it was reading it as http://localhost/styles/emp3.jpg. The reason emp3.jpg was displaying was because, unknown to me, there was an emp3.jpg in that folder, but not a new.jpg. Isn't it funny how I resolve my issues as I post them? Thanks for the suggestion about the debugger. I was using one, but just not the right way. :)

Archived