Email form problem

Fmdpa

I created an email form and downloaded ArGoSoft Mail Server. I tested it using that, and although I received the email in outlook, everything was blank (no subject, body or name). The form:

<form name="form1" method="post" action="send_contact.php" onsubmit="return vForm(document.form1);"><h3>Subject:</h3><input type="text"  name="subject" size="50"><h3>Message:</h3><textarea name="detail" cols="50" rows="5"></textarea><h3>Name:</h3><input type=”text”  name="name"  size="50"><h3>Email:</h3><input type=”text”  name="customer_mail"  size="50"><input style="cursor:hand” alt="submit" title="Submit e-mail" type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit"></form>

send_contact.php

<?php// Contact subject$subject ="$subject"; // Details$message="$detail"; // Mail of sender$mail_from="$customer_mail"; // From $header="from: $name <$mail_from>"; // Enter your email address$to ='me@localhost'; $send_contact=mail($to,$subject,$message,$header);// Check, if message sent to your email // display message "We've recived your information"if($send_contact){echo "We've recived your contact information";}else {echo "ERROR";}?>

$subject ="$subject"; should be$subject=$_POST['subject'];With the caveat that it should be sanitized prior to sending.Sanitized means that any javascript and harmful content be removed.A simple sanitization would be to allow only letters, numbers and a few punctuation characters, then discard the rest. For example:$subject=preg_replace('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','',$_POST['subject']); // This should discard anything that isn't a letter, digit, and not one of the listed punctuation characters.Not tested.http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-replace.phphttp://www.php.net/manual/en/regexp.reference.backslash.php

Lets go through the sanitization; I'm not sure if I understand all of it.

$subject=preg_replace('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','',$_POST['subject']);

It begins with an apostrophe ' and forward slash...?/*Understood\W (allow letters)\. (allow period)\! (allow exclamation mark)\$(allow $ sign)\*(allow asterisk)\'(allow apostrophe)\"(allow quotes)*//',",...But...this (and the beginning) part is confusing me.

Here's the modified code.

<?php// Contact subject$subject=preg_replace('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','',$_POST['subject']);// Details$message=preg_replace('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','',$_POST['detail']);// Mail of sender$mail_from=preg_replace('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','',$_POST['customer_mail']);// From$header="from: $name <$mail_from>";// Enter your email address$to ='me@localhost';$send_contact=mail($to,$subject,$message,$header);// Check, if message sent to your email// display message "We've recived your information"if($send_contact){echo "We've recived your contact information";}else {echo "ERROR";}?>

The email was sent and received smoothly, and all of the text went through. That's the problem. I put a > sign in the body just to test the preg_replace, but it arrived in the inbox unchanged.

The preg_replace tutorial page is hard for me to understand since I am not extremely familiar with PHP yet. But I get the impression I should be doing something like this:

<?php// Contact subject$subject=$_POST['subject'];// Details$message=$_POST['detail'];// Mail of sender$mail_from=$_POST['customer_mail'];// From$header="from: $name <$mail_from>";$pattern=('/\W\.\,\!\$\*\'\"/','')preg_replace($pattern,$subject,$message,$mail_from);// Enter your email address$to ='me@localhost';$send_contact=mail($to,$subject,$message,$header);// Check, if message sent to your email// display message "We've recived your information"if($send_contact){echo "We've recived your contact information";}else {echo "ERROR";}?>

???

The prior post (#4) was better.Make a simple script that loops through different values to test the preg code until it works the way you want it to.Remember that the email address needs to have an @, or it won't work - you could allow @ characters through.This example may help you:

$sTestString='This - is - \x3a <!@#$%^&*(){}\x0e'."\x7e".chr(13).chr(2).chr(0).'***'."\0Blink\0".base64_encode('spaghetti');var_dump($sTestString);echo PHP_EOL;var_dump(strip_chars($sTestString));echo PHP_EOL;function strip_chars($sInput,$sCharRegExp='/[\-=<>+#&%;:]/'){        $aRegExp=array($sCharRegExp,'/[\pCc]/','/[\x7b\x7d\x3c\x3e]/','/\0+/','/(\\\\0)+/','/[\{\}]/');        return preg_replace($aRegExp,'',$sInput);}

Archived