padding-top:5px is not working

amitamberker

Hi,How do I get that "*" 5 pixels down?

<div class="pnl1_pup"><span class="pnl1_pup-in">Change Selected Vehicle</span><span class="redTreb11" style="padding-left:42px;padding-top:5px">*</span></div><div class="pnl2_pup" style="border:0px solid #f00;"><select><option>Jeep</option></select>  

Use relative positioning:

.redTreb11 {	position:relative;	top:5px;}

Hi Synook,Well - The "position:relative;" and "top:5px;" did not work but however, I managed myself by altering the line-height from 22 to a 11 and it did the trick :)

.redTreb11-a { FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #ec1c3b; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; [11px] FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Trebuchet MS; padding-left: 42px;}
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You might also use <sub></sub> or <sup></sup> to define sub- and super-text respectively, which are shown a little smaller than the used type, and at the bottom or top of the line respectively. As <sup>TM</sup> does for the html "™" entity :)

You might also use <sub></sub> or <sup></sup> to define sub- and super-text respectively, which are shown a little smaller than the used type, and at the bottom or top of the line respectively. As <sup>TM</sup> does for the html "™" entity :)
Hi Jack,I didn't get you. However, could you please explain with the Examples OR Screenshot?FYI - From past 6 years, never used "<sub></sub>" and "<sup></sup>" tags. By the way what does it do? Why do we need to use that? How do we need to use that?Thanks!

The sub and sup elements simply define subscript and superscript text, respectively. Try them!

Sorry if my explanation was a little vague. Let me try like this:<sup> makes its text smaller and moves it to the top of the line the element is in. So this:"2<sup>3</sup> equals 8"Shows:2³ equals 8<sub> works the same, but moves it to the bottom of the line (I can't show that in a post without HTML enabled):H<sub>2</sub>OShows the chemical notation of water, with a little 2 in the middle of the two letters, a little below the line. I actually used the right-alt version of the 3-key on my keyboard to produce the <sup>ed character, as some numbers are predefined on some keyboards. But the real effect these elements produce might slightly differ. They are not particularly useful in the first place, but if you need a few characters to show in smaller font than the rest of the line, they are convenient replacements for unneccessary elements that also need styling.

Archived