wanted: three background images with no space between

george

If you look at my problem example page you will see three large green areas with two regions between them separating them. All three areas are background images loaded with the CSS background url() method. How can I get rid of the empty space between these images? I want one continuous field of green, not three distinct background images. ThanksGeorge

Remove the space between the span tags:

</span> <span><!-- to --></span><span>

Synook, I am shocked, truly shocked! Yes, this worked. And thank you. I woud have never figured this out. But why did it work? I thought part of HTML was that it ignored spaces and tabs. Sure, it allows a space between words. Is that a clue? Does HTML consider the span tag and it's contents to be like word text, and so the space acts like a space between words? I guess so. This would be the only explanation that would allow me to go to sleep feeling still somewhat sane. Thanks again. My head feels much better now that I am not banging it on the table anymore.

Is that a clue? Does HTML consider the span tag and it's contents to be like word text, and so the space acts like a space between words? I guess so.
Yes.

Browsers will render only 1 space between words and tags. If you put 10 spaces inbetween 2 words, then only 1 will appear. To create more than one space you use   but this is not a good way of spacing out words - best to control styling and layout via CSS.

Archived