What's up with Google?

CanadianGuy

Hi it's me again :) My ultimate goal is to get my website to meet Strict DTD standards and I'm really close. One more page to go. My map page with a Google map on it. It does pass without the map and also passes dtd set to Transitional but if I can fix it I want to.I don't know what an Imap is but it does look like some of the information in Google's code could possibly be transfered to a css file to get back to strict. The code is....

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=London,+Ontario&sll=44.119142,-78.453369&sspn=4.266532,8.31665&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=London,+Middlesex+County,+Ontario&ll=42.979398,-81.246138&spn=0.175822,0.291824&z=11&iwloc=A&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=London,+Ontario&sll=44.119142,-78.453369&sspn=4.266532,8.31665&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=London,+Middlesex+County,+Ontario&ll=42.979398,-81.246138&spn=0.175822,0.291824&z=11&iwloc=A" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

So is it possible and if so, would it violate Googles Terms of Use?If it is not possible/legal is there another map system who's code meets dtd Strict?As always thank you all for sharing

The main problem is the iframe - you could try to find a version or service that does not use one in their code.

The main problem is the iframe - you could try to find a version or service that does not use one in their code.
I've been looking for just such an animal. I did find a JavaScript that claims to get around the problem but I'm also trying to be a JavaFree site.

If you write the code to the page with JavaScript, then the validator won't see it. But that's sort of cheating.Note that the Google Maps page loaded in the iFrame uses JavaScript anyway (and that Java and JavaScript are different things - hardly anyone still uses Java on their site, but JavaScript is ubiquitous).

Archived