Switch Statement

Gex

Now this is something that has me bugged for a while. What exactly is the difference between a Switch statement and the If..Else statement. I mean they both in general do the same thing. Is there something that the Switch Statement can do or is faster than the If..Else. Sorry I am rather moderate at PHP I know the stuff, but something's just seem rather mysterious.ThanksGex

An if statement lets you branch in two ways (or more, if you use elseif), a switch statement can have many branches.If you're going to compare one value against another value - an if statement should be used. If you will be comparing one value and performing different actions based on several possible values, a switch statement should be used.Examples:If statement:

if ($a==$b) $a=0; else $b=0;

Equivalent switch statement:

switch ($a){  case $b:	$a=0;	break;  default:	$b=0;}

In the above example, the if statement is simpler and easier to understand. More complex example:

if ($a==$b) $b=0; elseif ($a==$c) $c=0;elseif ($a==$d) $d=0;else $a=0;

switch ($a){  case $b:	$b=0;	break;  case $c:	$c=0;	break;  case $d:	$d=0;	break;  default:	$a=0;}

The switch statement is easier to read, especially in situations where you have a lot of cases.

An if statement lets you branch in two ways (or more, if you use elseif), a switch statement can have many branches.If you're going to compare one value against another value - an if statement should be used. If you will be comparing one value and performing different actions based on several possible values, a switch statement should be used.Examples:If statement:
if ($a==$b) $a=0; else $b=0;

Equivalent switch statement:

switch ($a){  case $b:	$a=0;	break;  default:	$b=0;}

In the above example, the if statement is simpler and easier to understand. More complex example:

if ($a==$b) $b=0; elseif ($a==$c) $c=0;elseif ($a==$d) $d=0;else $a=0;

switch ($a){  case $b:	$b=0;	break;  case $c:	$c=0;	break;  case $d:	$d=0;	break;  default:	$a=0;}

The switch statement is easier to read, especially in situations where you have a lot of cases.

Ahh I see, so if its a simple system where I wish to compare small data between each other it is best to you If .. Else while if I am planning on comparing alot of data I use a Switch. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ahh I see, so if its a simple system where I wish to compare small data between each other it is best to you If .. Else while if I am planning on comparing alot of data I use a Switch. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
eh, sort of...an if else statement can give you more control. I would use a switch if plan on having a few specific cases, but if else's can do a range i.e. if(x > 0 && x < 10), etc. It really depends on the situation. You wouldn't want to have to write a switch statement for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,......

eh, sort of...an if else statement can give you more control. I would use a switch if plan on having a few specific cases, but if else's can do a range i.e. if(x > 0 && x < 10), etc. It really depends on the situation. You wouldn't want to have to write a switch statement for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,......
Ahh I see what you mean. Thanks to both of you. This forum is really useful, especially for finding out the important parts needed. Cheers.

Archived