Multidimensional arrays

DanH42

I'm just learning how to do arrays in php, but I'm pretty sure this can be done.I've got a comma-separated text file that will contain a bunch of data. I want the data to be put into an array so it can be easily retrieved. So, I would end up with an array looking like this:

Array(    [John Smith] => Array        (            [status] => Array                (                    [0] => 'Test message'                )            [pictures] => Array                (                    [0] => 'beach.jpg'                    [1] => 'birthday_01.png'                    [2] => 'birthday_02.png'                )        )    [steve Doe] => Array        (            [status] => Array                (                    [0] => 'Message 1'                    [1] => 'Another message']                )        ))

How would I turn a CSV into something like that?

Assuming you have PHP 5.3 and above, you can use str_getcsv(). I'm not sure if it generates the array in the exact fashion you want, but it should be something similar. The comments on that function suggest alternatives in case you have an older PHP version.

Archived