New to XSLT | How to group header and body?

mathewrond

I am having an XML structure as below<rows><row><head>123</head><id>1</id><body1>b1</body1><body2>b2</body2></row><row><head>123</head><id>1</id><body1>b3</body1><body2>b4</body2></row><row><head>456</head><id>2</id><body1>b5</body1><body2>b6</body2></row></rows>I am trying to show head information based on the <id> node. If the ID is same then I dont have to repeat the header information something like belowHEAD - 123BODYb1, b2b3, b4HEAD - 456BODYb5, b6I am not sure how to form for-each-group conditon for this. Can anyone help please?

Simply do for-each-group select="row" group-by="id":

<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="2.0">    <xsl:output method="text"/>    <xsl:template match="rows">	<xsl:for-each-group select="row" group-by="id">	  <xsl:text>HEAD - </xsl:text>	  <xsl:value-of select="head"/>	  <xsl:text>BODY</xsl:text>	  <xsl:value-of select="for $r in current-group() return string-join($r/*[starts-with(local-name(), 'body')], ', ')"					separator=""/>	  <xsl:text></xsl:text>	</xsl:for-each-group>  </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please explain me what the for $r logic does here? Also the output is in a single line and not in multiple lines as in rows.

Simply do for-each-group select="row" group-by="id":
<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="2.0">    <xsl:output method="text"/>    <xsl:template match="rows">	<xsl:for-each-group select="row" group-by="id">	  <xsl:text>HEAD - </xsl:text>	  <xsl:value-of select="head"/>	  <xsl:text>BODY</xsl:text>	  <xsl:value-of select="for $r in current-group() return string-join($r/*[starts-with(local-name(), 'body')], ', ')"					separator=""/>	  <xsl:text></xsl:text>	</xsl:for-each-group>  </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

I think I got what you are trying to do, thanks very much for your help.

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please explain me what the for $r logic does here? Also the output is in a single line and not in multiple lines as in rows.

As for line breaks missing in the output, that is caused by the forum software messing up the code sample, it has several (& # 1 0; without the spaces) to create line breaks but in the forum those simply show up as blanks. So for separator=" " use separator="& # 1 0;" (without the spaces) and in the xsl:text use that as well to create line breaks.$r is a variable bound to current-group() and then outputting the concatenation of those bodyx elements.

Archived