RSS Feeds

Howdy_McGee

So up until yesterday I had used an automatic RSS Script that I found on a website. I had little to no control over the styling and stuff so it was terrible. Well as of yesterday the site that I was using was taken off the internet so my RSS Feed was down in multiple places. Now I think I've decided to build one myself, how hard can that be right?Now I've been checking out the w3schools RSS Feed code and i'm thinking to myself - "How does it do it automatically?", and well, that's kinda what im asking here. Do I need to make a script or something that interacts with my Wordpress blog and takes the title/content? Our blogs are updated like 5 an hour or something of the sort, maybe not that much but we have ALOT so I can't exactly add each one in there myself. I figure if I use a 3rd party I won't have too many options on the styling so what do you guys suggest?

RSS has no "styling" options anyway, it's a data description language. If you want to do it yourself, the easiest way is to just query the database and print out the markup directly.

You can embed HTML to some extent within RSS, by encoding the syntax characters as entities, but that would not be part of the actual RSS markup (it's just more text that happens to be HTML when decoded), so even a third-party utility should support that. RSS itself has no way of describing the presentation of the feed.You may want to read the RSS specification: http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification.

Well, as mentioned, the easiest way is to just query the database and print out the markup directly. That way as soon as your database is changed, the RSS feed changes as well.

Archived