How to restrict certain pages

Fmdpa

How can I block certain pages from being accessed freely by users? For example, I have a page containing variables that are set with the parameters of my mysql_connect() function. I don't want this page to be accessible by anyone but me, since it contains the password for MySQL. If I surround the statement with <?php ?> tags, it will not be viewable in a browser. But when I include the file in another page, I have <?php tags inside another set of <?php tags. If I make the page a .txt file, it will include just fine, but then it is not invisible. How can I make the file containing this classified info so it can be include-ed in other php files, yet it is also invisible to nosy viewers?

Always use the .php extension for .php files.include will handle the <?php ?> tags fine, it will interpret the code and execute it if appropriate.You can also use a define, like so:init.php<?php define ('INIT_OK',true); ?>index.php<?phpinclude 'init.php';include 'db.php';/* Remainder of index.php ... */db.php<?php if (!defined('INIT_OK')) exit();/* database access credentials */

Archived