Unable to connect to MySQL

Fmdpa

I’m having such a hard time getting MySQL to work. I decided installed WAMP today because I thought it would be easier to work with the preconfigured installation. It is much easier than manually installing the components, BTW. Even though I figured out how to add/change a password (phpMyAdmin), I can’t connect to MySQL. My username is “root” and the password is “admin”. Here’s what I used to attempt a connection to MySQL.

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","admin");if (!$con) {	die('Couldn\'t connect:' . mysql_error());	}?>

The error was this: “ Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\wamp\www\newdb.php on line 3Couldn't connect:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) ”I tried using the same code above, except changing “mysql” to “mysqli”.

<?php$con = mysqli_connect("localhost","root","admin");if (!$con) {	die('Couldn\'t connect:' . mysqli_error());	}	?>

This is the error I got:“ Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\wamp\www\newdb.php on line 3Warning: mysqli_error() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, boolean given in C:\wamp\www\newdb.php on line 6Couldn't connect: ”I’m reading about MySQL right now, and it sounds simple and so useful. But this is what’s holding me back. Do you have any suggestions?

Archived