jQuery :first

dmei4

HiI made a toggle function, but I wanted the first element to show on load. I'm new with jQuery and I'm trying variations using :first, I saw it on a tutorial that I can not find again. :/ any help would be appreciated, I'm still new at this.I'm going to add a link to my code and files.Page

This should work as a basic example:

<html><head><script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function(){  $("#first").toggle(function(){	$("p:first").css("display","none");},	function(){	$("p:first").css("display","block");}  );  $("#second").toggle(function(){	$(".second").css("display","block");},	function(){	$(".second").css("display","none");}  );});</script><style type="text/css">.second{display:none;}</style></head><body><p>Click me to toggle between different background colors.</p><button id="first">Hello</button><p class="second">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</p><button id="second">Hello</button></body></html>

and make sure you reference the jquery file correctly

I switched up a bit. Do you know why it makes the clickable tag go shooting up on load?

<html><head><script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.4.2.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function(){  $("#first").slideToggle(function(){  	$(this).next(".first").css("display","none");},    function(){    $(".first").css("display","block");}  );  $("#second").slideTtoggle(function(){    $(".second").css("display","block");},    function(){    $(".second").css("display","none");}  );});</script><style type="text/css">.second{display:none;}</style></head><body><div id="first">Hello</div><div class="first">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</div><div id="second">Hello</div><div class="second">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</div><div id="second">Hello</div><div class="second">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</div><div id="second">Hello</div><div class="second">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</div><div id="second">Hello</div><div class="second">Click me to toggle between different background colors.</div></body></html>

because you made the first element without a .click event you made it with a .slideToggle event which is an effect and since there is no .click or any event it treats the only event as (document).ready so as soon as the page loads it happens. And also check the jquery effect for the second part

Archived